CynicalOptimist

blatherings about life, the universe & everything.... or more likely just books, students, family, & someday politics, religion and those more esoteric themes related to self actualization. Trying to be optomistic, but raised w/ Tricky Dick, bumbling Ford, Teflon Ron, Waffling-Read-My-Lips Bush & Slick Willie as her formative Presidents. Could we once again have intelligence & integrity in our nation's capital & capitol?

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Tonight my daughter & I did something of which most Americans would never dream . We boycotted the Super Bowl. We went to see a movie like we have for several years now. We ended up at "New World" not a blockbuster. I think Hannah & I each whispered more words to each other than the characters said combined. The other 5 people in the theatre did not shush us. A very melancholy movie, one of the few where the protagonist actually dies. Since I read a biography of Pocahontas decades ago, I expected it as soon as John Rolfe came on screen. The biography I read was written in the 60's, maybe 50's & was for kids, so maybe that is why I am still surprised by the "love story" aspect between Pocahontas & John Smith... But I also recall a big hubbub when Disney's horrific history twister came on about how she was only like 12 & he 45 & that they were not lovers.... perhaps I need to do more research to see if this is another "theatrical" historic re-write or if perhaps "Hollywood" actually got that detail correct. The paint & body decor of the Native Americans also did not seem very consistent in style nor cover Pocahontas as much as I expected since many Native Cultures were extremely good seamstresses & sexually modest in clothing as well as behavior. Perhaps I should do more research there too.
As a student of history I really get frustrated when I realize I still have so much more to learn...
Not that I think I know it all. I know I am very ignorant of Europe, Asia, Australia & Africa. Yes, I've taken basic courses in English History, World History, Our Greek & RomanHeritage, Asian religions, "People Of the Pacific" & South American politics. I've even taught World Geography. But with American History, Golly I have read so much beyond the classes I have taken it's ridiculous. Biographies, texts, well researched & not so well researched historical novels, and fiction written way back when the 1700's & 1800's were "contemporary." Probably one of my faults is that I try to know about the spectrum instead of a section extemely well. But I do try to focus on real people & hang them around the famous textbook history. Instead of just the famoust history.

The masters project I did was using historical fiction & non-fiction novels to teach about the life of children in history, & yet I guess I missed a detail of how Native American children would have dressed. I have photo's with each novel of the European American clothing & even some slave & African American styles through history.
Any way.
Time to move on in topic.

My daughter answered the quiz I put on here, she was the third one. Marcia was the first, Karen C second.

I liked all of this Sunday... despite that my kids went to their dad's... & I miss them greatly. Only an hour since I dropped of my daughter. I am only still awake because I took out trash, moved laundry & wanted to send e-mails about my son's missed school work from his illness to his dad..
I got sidetracked on this project & never anticipated being up this late. 4:30 will come mighty early after a week of sleeping almost all day long when my son was ill & so was I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home