CynicalOptimist

blatherings about life, the universe & everything.... or more likely just books, students, family, & someday politics, religion and those more esoteric themes related to self actualization. Trying to be optomistic, but raised w/ Tricky Dick, bumbling Ford, Teflon Ron, Waffling-Read-My-Lips Bush & Slick Willie as her formative Presidents. Could we once again have intelligence & integrity in our nation's capital & capitol?

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Dear folks whose lives some how care about my life,

On the mind of my students recently are Don Imus' "nappy headed ho's" & the shootings in Virginia. Many discussions about these lately. With the Imus situation they don't see the hypocrisy nor consequences of them calling each other whores & bitches, but don't think the white man should do it. With the shootings, they're actually a bit paranoid & showing their ignorance. More than one teacher has heard them say that they didn't know Asians could just loose control like that. So lots of social education going on lately when we're not "hitting the books." Prayers for those who have been hurt emotionally & physically in these incidents, and for my students who are thinking & rethinking about some issues & things they thought they knew.

Still praying for Suicidal. He & I still do e-mails. Pregnant still is, and is settling back down into being a student after being a flighty mess for 4 months. She's upset that her new boyfriend was holding hands with their best female friend; they were like the 3 musketeers for several months. Still praying for Will & Lloyd. But have added 2 more.

Let's call one Crack's daughter, cuz her mom is a crackhead using up my ex student's paycheck. The girl admitted to another teacher that she has stolen a car to earn money to pay for rent & food, since Crackhead mom doesn't. The girl also admitted that she was suicidal. This girl came into 11th grade ready for college level work. She could do anything given a chance to not work 40 hours a week, feel pressured to steal AND get her education. She used to spend hours with me talking afterschool last year, when she could come. But I've not seen her lately; I've gotten this update from her current teacher.

The other... well, let's call him Larry as that is his preferred name, though far from HER legal one. He is smart & intelligent, but probably not going to graduate in a month like some one with her intelligence should. She has more facial hair than most teen-aged boys and dresses like them.. She wants surgery to become a man, but is too poor. She lives with Grandma whose health is troublesome. He is frustrated. Larry asked me for help with the senior research paper about the transgender surgeries/procedures, because she knew I could help, but only showed up one afternoon & then OBVIOUSLY plagiarized her paper. I just wanted to smack him. If the pronouns' fluctuation frustrates you, imagine what it does to him. A young man stuck in a female body.

And don't you go spouting off religious crap about him going to hell, that's just the stuff to make certain he leaves God & Jesus. & Larry needs them in his life to make it. AND don't you go saying he is needing serious mental health help for this issue. I've watched Larry gain the confidence to be himself these past 4 years. I watched him gain the knowledge to figure out he wasn't insane, nor a freak. He may need mental health help, but he doesn't need to be "set straight." He is going to be fine if he can just juggle taking care of grandma, earning money for the basics & the surgery & it's legal costs too, doing school work, & dealing with ignoramusses that think he's all screwed up. & just let me tell you, that doing all of that as a minority male or female, let alone as one whom people think odd for other reasons, is not going to be easy.

Enough about them, except please pray that they get the financial & emotional support they need to stay alive & get their educations.

What would an update be without a word about Flirty who doesn't flirt...
I had a real in color dream while I was sound asleep. In it I was sitting on a floor (short carpet or perhaps an area rug on a wood floor. I was leaning against a couch, Flirty was beside me. On the couch were at least my 2 sons who were acting a lot like they were watching tv. Flirty & I were acting more like we were in front of a fire place. The couch was a dark solid color; there was a comfy chair beside the couch. The lighting was ambient. There was a lit room to the left of the couch. Flirty said something flirty in the dream , then he & I got up & went towards the other room. Then I awakened. This stuck with me because my dreams have come true, esp. those that take place in a describable setting. It also stuck with me because I've not had carnal thoughts about Flirty for quite awhile, but I think we left the room to pursue carnal behavior.

So today, I went to his office during lunch. After the students went to class, I asked him if he knew of a place with the above furniture & room arrangement. He drew part of his house's floorplan. They matched. He said it now has a short carpet, but he has bought an area rug & has the installation of a hardwood floor planned for this summer. I asked if the couch faces east; it does. He asked why I asked. I told him that I had dreamed that he & I were in this place. I did not describe the dialogue, nor that we left the living room for where it turns out his bedroom is. I did tell him that I have dreams that really come true, so when I have a dream w/ recognizable people I like to talk to them about what I dreamt. See if they recognize other people or settings. Even if I don't recognize the place or a person, I still often tell someone to help document the dream for when the reality comes. Flirty seemed to feel awkward. I didn't know what to say next myself. But we muddled on for a little while until we found something less awkward.

Phone ringing... got to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home