CynicalOptimist

blatherings about life, the universe & everything.... or more likely just books, students, family, & someday politics, religion and those more esoteric themes related to self actualization. Trying to be optomistic, but raised w/ Tricky Dick, bumbling Ford, Teflon Ron, Waffling-Read-My-Lips Bush & Slick Willie as her formative Presidents. Could we once again have intelligence & integrity in our nation's capital & capitol?

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Follow up:

I sent Flirty an e-mail that redirects him to this site. To him I say: The "long version" is the one whose title has to do with getting home from dancing plus this one.

Today I still wanted to punch his lights out, & I was angry with myself for continuing to be an idiot, so I needed to vent or I was going to pig out. (Old habits such as emotional eating are hard to fight.) When I talked w/ another friend, she said, "don't you remember I told you he said one Friday that he was 'going home, putting his wife on the bike and headin out of town' ?" I had assured her that it had to be metaphorical, because he would have told me. He talks all the time about being honest, so I expected honesty. I knew/know his ladyfriend/wife was/is important to him, though he's never used her name & rarely mentions her, so his metaphorical wife made sense to me. I forgot the conversation.

I'd like to just say life was stressful with the start of school, meetings, Dad's stroke, Hannah going to college. So I forgot. I've studied enough psych to know there was probably lots of denial going on, too. But I would like to deny that it was. ;)

I'd like to give him the excuse of not wanting to add to my stress at the time. But I feel insulted by that excuse. We as a society tend to protect little children from reality, though I never did much of that with my own kids. We have two choices: We can tell them the truth. Or we can lie to them. I chose to speak the truth & to show them the truth. Yes, sometimes I can only say, "I don't know" and sometimes it is annoyingly still physically hard for me to talk when emotions are stressful. But I am a grown woman; I could have handled the truth.

I would have handled it a lot better than being lied to. When I was younger & delivering papers there was a song I sang as I walked the streets. "Who's trippin down the streets of the city, smilin at everybody she meets. Whose reaching out to capture a rainbow? everyone knows its (insert my real name). And I have stormy eyes that flash at the sound of lies..."

I am an optimist. I stupidly assume the best in people. I expect their honesty. Then I keep being reminded to be a cynic. Geez, if you can't trust your friends to be honest with you, who the heck can you trust?

So to boil it down, he told the two people that he knows I talk to about just about everything, but not me. He knew they'd let it go eventually, the chicken shit liar...

May your friends live up to the trust you place in them,
Take care,
Pete

2 Comments:

Blogger klbrowser said...

I don't think it's stupid to expect the best of people. I do it too. That may be the one trait we have most in common.

I would always rather hear the truth, even if it is unpleasant, than have someone attempt to deceive me. When I am told, "but I didn't want to hurt your FEELINGS!" that indicates that this person has severely underestimated me. Plus it is the ultimate cop-out.

Well, at least he's getting the truth from you. Even if you don't owe it to him. And it's a much better solution than punching his lights out.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 11:34:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Pete said...

On Monday, Flirty saw me in public & politely requested I go to his office. I did. He said, "I feel ass-ripped." I said, "you should." He apologized for not telling me. He was not clear on how he lied, so I gave a couple of examples, which granted are lies of omission like his answer to, "What did you do this summer?" & his "if my situation were different" comments. He understood and apologized. Later in the week when we lunching with a student, he also settled with the student that he had exaggerated about his early retirement out of anger & frustration. He was setting the record straight cuz Pete had given him a talkin to about lies and exaggerations. He seems sincere & humbled by the ass-ripping experience. As well he should be.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 1:49:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home